“Fires, Floods, & Freaks of Nature: Examining Monroe County’s Past Disasters”
Public history program: Thursday, May 10, 7pm: “Fires, Floods, & Freaks of Nature: Examining Monroe County’s Past Disasters...
13,000 Names Added to the Rural School Student Index
The Monroe County Local History Room online genealogy index keeps growing! Just added were 13,000 names indexed from Monroe County Rural School Student Records...
Volunteers are the heart and soul of the Local History Room. Much of LHR's success depends on the many volunteers who contribute their time and talent in a variety of areas:
Do you have a passion for history?
Do you have a knack for genealogical research?
Do you have a desire to share your time and talent?
There is a place for you at the Local History Room.
Email Jarrod or call 608-269-8680 for more information about volunteering at the Local History Room.
- Enter data into our Monroe County Newspaper Index database (ongoing)
- Construct exhibit cases and display furniture
- Research genealogy inquiries that are sent into the Local History Room (ongoing)
- Catalog the Local History Room's artifacts and archives
- Examine the Library's bookshelves and files to ensure proper order (needed two times a year, four hours each time)
- Preserve obituaries by cutting them out of newspapers and photocopying them onto acid-free paper (ongoing)
- Organize special events, public programs, and guest speakers at the Local History Room and Wegner Grotto (ongoing)
- Beautify the Wegner Grotto: plant flowers, rake the grounds, vacuum inside the Glass Church (spring and fall)
- Fold brochures (twice a year, four hours each time)
- Assist with annual mailing: folding letters, stuffing and sealing envelopes, applying mailing labels (once a year)
- Fabricate shelving for storage areas
- Paint exhibit cases and panels when exhibits change
- Enter names and addresses in our mailing list database
- Index historical records and archival materials so that are of greater use to researchers and genealogists
- Identify historic "mystery" photographs of people, places, and events from our county.
- Assist with exhibit fabrication: mount pictures, cut foamboard, paint wood (four times throughout the year)
- Identify potential lenders to "Collector's Corner" changing display area; schedule when collectors will bring in their collections and assist with installation of the display (seasonal)
- Process the Monroe County Criminal Records: photocopy, consolidate, index (ongoing)
- Create slideshows on historical topics, such as "One-room Schoolhouses," "Main Streets of Monroe County," and "Natural Disasters."